BD Water is developing a platform to
bring water licence trading to everyone.

The BD Water Trading platform is the tool that connects buyers and sellers for water licences in different water resources across WA.

Negotiate freely and anonymously to get the water licence trade for the allocation and price of your choice.

Go To water manager


Search for your property address and find only the licences that you are allowed to purchase, for the different aquifers physically available.

Ensure you are complying with Department of Water and Environmental Regulation guidelines.


The easiest way to list your water licence for sale, in a platform tailored to trade licences.

Advertise without any fees or commitment. The only costs you will incur are the Trade Application fees, once you secure a water licence.

You can use our platform completely free of charge to:

  • List water licences for sale in a secure website that people use to find water licences available for purchase, at no cost. Get instant feedback on trading price and allocation, and use it to make the best decisions for your water allocation
  • Search to buy a water licence for your property, in a simple way. All you have to do is input your property address in our search function, and you'll get all the current listings for licences that you are allowed to purchase, in the different aquifers available to you.
  • Negotiate your water licence trade directly with the party who will buy or sell you a water licence, completely anonymously.

No more headaches over licensing,
you can take control of your water licence.

You choose your trade

Using the BD Water Trading platform, you will have full control of the price and allocation you sell or buy your water licence for.

You can negotiate directly with other users and find the trade that suits you, by mutually agreeing on the trade rate, knowing all associated costs prior to any commitment.

Water licence buyer and seller negotiating in Perth, WA.

No more hassle after the negotiation

Once you agree on a water trading rate and allocation (price and quantity), our team of experts in Water Licence Trading in WA will help you and take care of the entire application process.

We complete all the necessary paperwork, gather additional documents, and interface with DWER for the whole trading process.

Compliance without the bureaucracy

Know that you are buying a licence suitable for your property, or selling to someone who's allowed to purchase it.

Water licence trading is only allowed within the same water resource, that is, the groundwater sub-area and aquifer. We have prepared our water licence to only display listings available for your property.

Water trading market from BD Water.

You may not know us yet,
but we know about water licensing.


You have full authority of any decisions regarding your water licence sale or purchase, up to the point where you commit and agree on a trading rate.


WA is constantly changing the regulations around water licence trading. We keep on top of those, due to our volume of trades and ongoing communication with DWER.


You only need to define the water trading price and quantity you want, and then we'll handle all the bureaucracy and paperwork on your behalf.

"BD Water did a fantastic job. A quote which explained everything, the work carried out in a timely manner and follow up once job was done. Highly recommend them to anyone."

- Alarna Richards

"Very professional and great attention to detail. Will continue to use in the future, highly recommend you do too!"

- Gregg McCumesky

"Very professional and the quality of work is A1, I can tell this company is passionate in providing the very best advice and service. So happy to see green green grass again !!!!"

- David Saunders

"Very professional and listened to all my requirements! Thanks again lads for going above and beyond, couldn't be happier!"

- Simon Starling

Our Customers

What our clients and drillers say about us.

This is BD Water did a fantastic job. A quote which explained everything, the work carried out in a timely manner and follow up once job was done. Highly recommend them to anyone.
Alarna Richards
Very professional and great attention to detail. Will continue to use in the future, highly recommend you do too!
Facebook Gregg McCumesky
Very professional and the quality of work is A1, I can tell this company is passionate in providing the very best advice and service. So happy to see green green grass again !!!!
Facebook David Saunders
The quality of work was superb as was the customer service, would recommend to one and all, thanks again boys.
Facebook Barratt Liam

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a bore meter?

In short - yes, if you have a water licence for more than 10,000 kL/a, and want to keep your full allocation (if you're not fully utilising your allocation, licence trading allows you to sell part or your full licence - more info on Licence Trading).

In some cases smaller allocations will also require a meter. Department of Water and Environmental Regulation has / will notify licensees where applicable.

Since 31 December 2020, all licences for 10,000 kL + require meters to have been installed on all drawpoints. If you have not installed a meter yet, please contact us or another provider ASAP.

How do I buy/sell a licence?

Traditionally you’ll need to find a buyer/seller in the same water resource you’re allowed to trade with, and offer to buy/sell part or the full allocation. Using our platform, Water Manager, you can list licences for sale or find licences available to purchase on your exact property.

A water allocation can be transferred to an existing or a new licence. This water can then be relocated and used for different purposes.

Both parties have to fill our a licence transfer form and submit it yothe Department of Water and Environmental Regulation. The trade will then go through due diligence with DWER, which usually takes multiple months before approved.

The process will look at the following:

  • Are you seeking to trade within your designated groundwater sub-area and aquifer?
  • What the allocation is currently used for?
  • Is the allocation is currently being fully utilised?
  • What is the new intent for the allocation?
  • Are there any environment incumbents?
  • Does the new owner of the allocation have the infrastructure in place to utilise the allocation or the financial capability to construct it?


Alternatively, you can talk to us. You can let us find you a buyer/seller for your trade, handle all the paperwork according to the current regulations and guidelines, and interface on your behalf with DWER. We will take care of the whole process.

 We make water licensing simple.

Do you represent the Department of Water?

No. BD Water is a private business and we do not represent the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation. BD Water owns Water Manager, which is also independent from DWER.

All information we provide is our own interpretation of their documentation and if unsure please confirm with DWER directly.

Can I trade licences with anyone?

Not with anyone.

You are only allowed to trade water within the same water resource. A water resource is the combination of groundwater area and sub-area & aquifer.

  • For the semi-confined aquifers Mirrabooka and Leederville, the trading range isn’t very restricted, as the sub-areas cover a wide geographical area.
  • For the Superficial aquifer, the groundwater sub-areas are geographical boundaries that put a more significant limit on the water resources. The same suburb can have 3-4 different sub-areas within itself.

You can check what water resource your property is in, and which licences are available for purchase on your property, via Water Manager. Our platform makes it easy to find buyers or sellers, and you can be sure you are trading with parties you are allowed to.

Can I get a new water licence issued?

Generally, no.

The majority of areas and aquifers are over allocated, meaning there is more water being extracted from the ground then there is replenishing the supply (via rainfall). This means no more new licences are being issued, certainly not around the denser areas of Perth.

There are some cases where a temporary allocation may be issued but this is generally reserved for construction works or emergency situations.

Generally, the only option for getting an allocation is to trade it with someone else. More info about water trading on Water Manager.

You can call us to discuss your situation, we can help you decipher if you are eligible for a new licence, or advise you of your options.

What is water licensing?

The Department of Water and Environmental Regulation started regulating the water use in WA because, simply put, we’re taking more water out of the ground than what’s going back in. This results in water levels dropping.


A groundwater licence is one of the ways DWER monitors and manages the amount of water being abstracted.

Water licences allow their holders to take more groundwater that the unlicensed standard amount to irrigate 1/2 an acre (2000 square meters).

More info about the licence management on Water Manager.

/* Facebook Messenger */